4/23/09

a letter

here i will attempt to write something profound. ok. maybe not. but this is what i will soon forward to every person and organization that i think may be able to assist me, in some way shape or form.

is it too wordy? if anyone would like to edit or critique it before i start to send it out. feel free.

"to whom it may concern,

my name is jessica deis, i am a 27 year old mother of two. i homeschool my oldest, who is almost 8, and in doing so, this has forced me to open my eyes and mind in a new way.
more important that all of that (for this letter anyway) is that i am a professional photographer. i do mostly freelance portrait work, but ive long had an affinity for documentary photography, i guess its just that nothings pulled at me hard enough to motivate me to dedicate the time, money, effort, skills, etc. neccessary... until now.

in august of 2008 me and my family relocated to louisville, ky, and my eyes were opened to the reality that is mountain top removal. i now spend much of my time thinking about and researching this subject, and it tears at me. so ive decided to do a photo documentary on coal. from its source, the mountains, to its destination, the power plants, and everything in between.

i hope to work with residents in appalachia who have experienced the devistation first hand, right on to those affected by power company "ash spills".

not being able to devote every hour to this will no doubt make it a bit more challenging, but im ready to accept that challenge. if you have any sources, information, advice, etc. to offer me, i would be greatly appreciative, and would gladly give credit anywhere i share my work.

thank you for your time,
-jessica"

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 the dirty lies of "clean coal". Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator